Shaw University is in Raleigh, North Carolina, but doesn’t have much in the way of athletics facilities to call its own, so the school plays its home football, lacrosse, and soccer games at Durham County Memorial Stadium in Durham, NC, about 20-30 minutes from campus. The facility was built in 1958, has a capacity of 8,500, and besides Shaw is also currently home to Northern High School Football and Tobacco Road FC.
When one thinks of the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, the thought of the Miss America Paegent comes to mind. However, football has had a long history underneath its roof dating back to 1930.
In 2011 Saint Augustine’s University hosted its first ever on-campus football game at the then newly constructed George Williams Athletic Complex in Raleigh, NC – the venue holds 2,500 fans and cost $10M to build. The complex includes a field turf playing surface surrounded by a track, a scoreboard, and two main grandstands, plus a couple of much smaller grandstands behind the end zone. The press area is located in the top row on the home side, and is recognizable by the white tent above it.
University of Charleston Stadium is located in Charleston, WV near the state capitol, and is owned by Kanawha County Schools. Due to lack of funds to maintain the venue, however, the county partnered with the University of Charleston, which provided $1.5M in 2003 for upgrades such as new turf, a new skybox, and new locker rooms, in exchange for access plus naming rights. The stadium is shared by the university’s lacrosse and football teams, and is also used by the local high school. The stadium was originally built in 1979, and currently holds 18,500 fans.
History and heritage have deep roots in the city of Kingsville, Texas. A tradition of farming and ranching built the community. It continues to grow thanks in large part to Texas A&M University-Kingsville (TAMUK). Founded in 1925, the athletics department launched a football program shortly afterward in 1929. Since that time, the Javelinas have become one of the most dominant Division II programs in the country.
Biemesderfer Stadium opened in 1958 and was named for Daniel Luke Biemesderfer, who was Millersville University’s ninth president from 1943 to 1965. The existing stadium structure was in turn built in 1969 and was ready for the 1970 football season. In 1985, lights were added.