One of the hidden gems in Division 3 basketball is the DeVos Fieldhouse on the campus of Hope College in New Holland, Michigan. The arena packs the house each night and has led all of the D3 programs in average attendance for the last 15 years.
McDaniel College is a private four-year liberal arts college in Westminster, Maryland. It was established in 1867 and until 2002 was known as Western Maryland College. The name of the college did not reflect the geographic placement of the school as it is not located in the western part of the state. Instead it was named for the Western Maryland Railroad, which it shared some common board members.
Belhaven University is a small private Christian university located in Jackson, MS. The college was founded in 1883 through the merger of two schools, Mississippi Synodical College & McComb Female Institute. The school’s current location opened in 1894 in the mansion of former Confederate Colonel Jones S. Hamilton. The mansion was named Belhaven, and hence is how the university got its name. In 1927 a lightning strike destroyed the mansion, which housed the university’s only classrooms – the columns that stand today on the west side of the campus are the only remnants of the old college.
Gettysburg College is a private, four-year liberal arts college founded in 1832. From its founding until 1921 it was known as Pennsylvania College. Sports teams at the college are known as the Bullets and there are 24 NCAA Division III men’s and women’s teams. Although the mascot for Gettysburg College is the Bullet, there is no official Bullet mascot at sporting events.
Salisbury University is a public university located in the city of Salisbury, roughly 30 miles west of Ocean City, Maryland. Salisbury is a member of the University System of Maryland. The school opened in 1925 and has been known as the Maryland State Normal School, Maryland State Teachers College, Salisbury State College, and Salisbury State University before going to their current name.
Goucher College is a former all women’s college located in Towson, Maryland, a northern suburb of Baltimore. The college opened in 1885 as the Women’s College of Baltimore City, changed its name to its current name in 1910 and went coed in 1986. Goucher moved to its present suburban location northeast of the county seat of Towson in Baltimore County in 1953. The college is named in honor of its founding member, John Goucher, his wife, Mary Fisher Goucher.