The Aberdeen IronBirds moved to the Baltimore area in 2002 after local legend Cal Ripken Jr. bought the Utica Blue Sox of the New York-Penn League and moved them to his hometown. This did displace the independent Atlantic League’s Aberdeen Arsenal, who were trying to get state and local funding to build a ballpark so they could move out of their temporary home at Harford Community College in nearby Bel Air, Maryland. That funding instead went to building a home for the Ripken organization, and that was what got Ripken Stadium built. The Arsenal was disbanded.
The Gaelic Athletic Association Museum And Croke Park is located north of downtown Dublin in the Drumcondra neighborhood. On the day we went to the museum it was pretty tough to get to it as the stadium was in preparation for a massive series of concerts from Taylor Swift. The amount of forklifts and trucks was pretty staggering. I would recommend checking the event calendar for Croke, and if a concert is happening to call ahead and see what the museum recommends in terms of access.
The Wilmington Blue Rocks play in the advanced Single-A Carolina League.. The name was chosen because of the blue granite found along the Brandywine River in Wilmington.
Frawley Stadium was originally known as Legends Stadium when it was first built in 1993. Later it was renamed for Wilmington mayor Daniel S. Frawley, a major force behind the city getting the team.
The Bison are a member of the North Eastern Athletic Conference (except for the football program which plays in the Eastern Collegiate Football Conference) and play at the Division III level. The Gallaudet softball field opened on March 18, 2011 against D.C. rival Catholic University. Dugouts were added in 2014 and permanent seating in 2017. Lights and a press box are planned future additions.
Gallaudet University is a federally-chartered private university for the education of the Deaf and hard of hearing located in Washington, D.C. The school is named for Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet, a pioneer in the education of the deaf. Founded in 1864, Gallaudet University was originally a grammar school for both deaf and blind children. In 1954 the school became Gallaudet College and in In 1986 it was renamed Gallaudet University. The physical campus is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Tennis Center at College Park is a private tennis facility located close to the main part of the University of Maryland campus. It is a 32-court tennis facility featuring indoor, outdoor, hard, red and green clay courts. The Junior Tennis Champions Center, a program to assist and develop young tennis talent is also located at the Tennis Center at College Park.